From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About to have fiber internet and need VPN info
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 15:37:10
1 On Sunday, 7 August 2022 07:06:55 BST William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 6/8/22 20:42, Michael wrote:
3 > > On Saturday, 6 August 2022 12:08:30 BST Dale wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > >
6 > > The more you try to escape the 14 eyes Big Brother, the closer you may
7 > > fall
8 > > into the hands of various authoritarian regimes. LOL! Even VPNs like
9 > > NordVPN which operates within the jurisdiction of Panama (let's not
10 > > forget it is Langley's doorstep), it also has offices in the UK,
11 > > Netherlands and Lithuania. I wonder why . . .
12 > >
13 > > Total privacy on the Internet is improbable. If your only concern is to
14 > > retain your privacy from your ISP with regards to your Internet
15 > > connections, then most/any VPN service will offer this benefit by
16 > > obfuscating your IP address. Your browsing patterns, browser User Agent,
17 > > addons and umpteen other OS and application fingerprints won't be
18 > > obfuscated beyond the VPN server. Therefore your identity can only be
19 > > protected so much and no more.
20 > Also, leakage is almost inevitable ... DNS, content distribution
21 > networks, browser fingerprinting, timezones, paying online with a US
22 > credit card, US delivery address and just simple mis-configuration
23 > exposing you to risk etc. My impression as a long time openvpn user is
24 > that TOR and the TOR browser might be the closest to secure for your
25 > purposes? Also, keep in mind that things like online shopping will cost
26 > you more overseas because if you are successful in hiding you are in the
27 > US you will get the international surcharges, or in some cases ordering
28 > IT stuff from the US you have to fill out export clearances (once even
29 > for sparkfun hobby stuff!) :) ... then if you pay with a US card and/or
30 > have a US delivery address they have got you anyway - in fact being in
31 > Oz I gave it up as being no gain, too much pain to use a VPN try and get
32 > cheaper US shopping. I found myself having to maintain two totally
33 > independent systems with one in a locked down VPN with US settings with
34 > all traffic actively blocked from the local network, and use US shipping
35 > and packaging firms that offered facilities to buy on my behalf. That
36 > is much harder than you think - trusting the end points is only one
37 > small part of the problem you are trying to solve and from the Gov
38 > monitoring point of view almost certainly a waste of time anyway as they
39 > have massive resources. The best you can hope for with openvpn is SSL
40 > point to point level security. Just use HTTPS, a good browser and be
41 > part of the crowd - if you are trawling suspect/socially compromising
42 > websites you do not want anyone to see you going to, no matter what you
43 > do there will always be a risk and as a VPN user you are a more likely
44 > target for a closer look anyway. I am sure the bigger online VPN
45 > providers would be monitored closely - at least TOR is likely to help
46 > more than a plain VPN.
47 >
48 > BillK
49
50 TBH I don't think even TOR is to be trusted 100%. There must be 100s if not
51 1000s of honeypot TOR servers set up with the purpose of harvesting comms and
52 associating entry and exit patterns as part of regular internet surveillance
53 work.
54
55 The best a well configured VPN tunnel can offer is a secure connection between
56 client and VPN server, which is handy if you are out and about using untrusted
57 and insecure WiFi hotspots. In such a case, having configured your home/office
58 router as a VPN server for free will allow you to use your client device as a
59 roadwarrior, which should be just as effective as using some remote VPN
60 service.
61
62 The only other reason for using a VPN service is to present a different
63 geolocation for the purpose of overcoming country-specific website
64 restrictions. In this case a VPN service works effectively as a proxy server
65 in changing your IP address.