From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] intel-microcode with systemd
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 22:36:43
1 On Thursday 02 Feb 2017 10:19:57 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 01 Feb 2017 22:34:09 Mick wrote:
3 > --->8
4 >
5 > > I eventually got on top of this. No initramfs is needed, although if you
6 > > are using one then it will serve the same purpose too.
7 > >
8 > > These are the steps I followed:
9 > >
10 > > Emerged sys-apps/iucode_tool and ran:
11 > >
12 > > iucode_tool -S
13 > >
14 > > which spewed out the CPU signature as: 0x00040661
15 > >
16 > > Then I emerged intel-microcode with USE=split-ucode, to generate the
17 > > microcode binaries the kernel can use directly. Saving and searching
18 > >
19 > > through the output of the emerge compilation I found this snippet:
20 > > intel-ucode/06-46-01
21 > > signature: 0x40661 <===<
22 > > flags: 0x32
23 > > revision: 0x16
24 > > date: 2016-04-01
25 > > size: 24576
26 > >
27 > > Previously in a rush, I got confused when I compared the hex notation of
28 > > the CPU signature with 0x000 in front of it, with the above. Thereafter
29 > > I added 'intel-ucode/06-46-01' in the kernel, like so:
30 > >
31 > > Device Drivers --->
32 > >
33 > > Generic Driver Options --->
34 > >
35 > > [*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
36 > > (intel-ucode/06-46-01 <other_CPU_firmware_follows_here>) External
37 > >
38 > > firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary
39 > >
40 > > (/lib/firmware/) Firmware blobs root directory
41 > >
42 > > The intel-ucode needs to be loaded early at the start of the boot process,
43 > > so I put it first and comma separated the rest of the CPU firmware blobs.
44 >
45 > Mine are all space separated.
46
47 I beg your pardon! I must slow down and read again what I write before I
48 click send ... Yes, you are correct, the blob entries must be space separated.
51 > > I now get an output which clearly states "microcode updated early".
52 >
53 > The first line of dmesg says so here now, for the first core, then 50 ms
54 > later the other cores follow suit.
55 >
56 > > I posted this in case it helps others too.
57 >
58 > And I'm grateful. I hadn't got round to tweaking CPU microcode, but seeing
59 > your post I thought it would be a good idea.
60
61 You're welcome. :-)
64 Regards,
65 Mick