From: Robin Atwood <robin@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 13:50:08
1 I have a Thinkpad T410 where, after I installed Gentoo on it, everything "just
2 worked (TM)". The sound is via the bog-standard Intel chips on the mobo and
3 uses the hda_intel drivers. I didn't use the TP for a long time, just
4 periodically updating Gentoo, but when I eventually did try to use it the
5 sound was muted. This means I shut down the X server to remove complications
6 from the desktop and from the console aplay doesn't produce any sound.
7 Everything looks normal, driver modules loaded, alsamixer shows the usual
8 output, channels all active. I booted to a windows partition and the sound
9 works, so the hardware is OK. The very weird thing is if I put the TP to sleep
10 with acpitool and wake it up again, the sound works for about 60 seconds and
11 then dies. There is nothing in the message log at all when this happens. I
12 upgraded the kernel but that didn't help.
13
14 This problem has been dragging on for some years and I am contemplating a
15 complete re-install from scratch. But before I do that does anyone have any
16 idea what I could try?
17
18 TIA
19 Robin
23 Robin Atwood.
24
25 "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
26 Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
27 from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
39 This message has been scanned for viruses and
40 dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
41 believed to be clean.