From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 23:13:14
1 On 02/06/2017 04:20 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 Feb 2017 21:39:08 jdm wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> Just followed the amdgpu wiki guide to get my new graphics card up and
6 >> running. Excellent wiki guide and had no issues. Now running with
7 >> shiny graphics and throwing all that Steam has to offer at it.
8 >>
9 >> Many Thanks to the wiki authors.
10 >>
11 >> Will we always have to include binary blobs into the kernel for AMD
12 >> cards? This feels kind of odd for me so wondering if this will be
13 >> included as a package or a kernel driver at some point or what the
14 >> future direction is for AMD graphics with Linux.
15 >>
16 >> It may not be alien but not done this before so curious.
17 >>
18 >> John
19 > Invariably all modern CPUs, video cards, NICs, etc. are shipped with firmware
20 > which are usually emerged with sys-kernel/linux-firmware (or manually) and
21 > then loaded with an initrd, or by building them in the kernel. Regarding
22 > AMDGPUs please note the Wiki strings of firmware blobs are not 100% correct.
23 > I noticed dmesg was complaining about missing blobs on a Kaveri APU although I
24 > had all the complete Kaveri string included in the kernel. I had to add:
25 >
26 > radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin radeon/BONAIRE_vce.bin
27 >
28 > to keep it happy.
29 >
30 > BTW, for AMDGPUs you will also need to add CPU microcode blob strings.
31 Please explain : "BTW, for AMDGPUs you will also need to add CPU
32 microcode blob strings."