From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use RAM
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:57:32
1 Dale schrieb:
2 > KH wrote:
3 >> Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
4 >>> Greets, gentoo-users,
5 >>>
6 >>> as I ordered myself an upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM for my main
7 >>> workstation, just because it's rather cheap now and I have good use for
8 >>> the "old" 4 gigs I wonder what to do with those shiny new additional
9 >>> 4 gigs.
10 >>>
11 >>> OK, linux uses it for IO-caching, yep ...
12 >>>
13 >>> I have some ram-disk already for compiling stuff (portage-stuff) and I
14 >>> can think of increasing app-caches like operas own ram-cache to make use
15 >>> of the memory.
16 >>>
17 >>> I will give my virtual machines more RAM to improve their performance,
18 >>> yes, this is maybe the main reason for me to upgrade RAM.
19 >>>
20 >>> But are there any other things I might forget?
21 >>>
22 >>> Are there any creative non-ricer ways to really make use of it?
23 >>>
24 >>> I would like to hear your opinion on this, I am quite sure the
25 >>> gentoo-community knows one trick or the other ;-)
26 >>>
27 >>> Thanks a lot, Stefan
28 >>>
29 >> Hi,
30 >>
31 >> you could regularly measure your disk speed by coping huge amounts of
32 >> data to a second ram-disk, and back. Then you have a good knowledge of
33 >> read and write speed of your hdd :-)
34 >>
35 >> I often use the ram disk for creating iso images before burning them
36 >> to dvd/cd. This is a lot faster than doing this on an hdd.
37 >>
38 >> kh
42 > Why not use hdparm -Tt to test the speed of the drives? It works pretty
43 > good here.
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
50 Hi,
51 that wouldn't involve the extra ram ;-)
52 kh