From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Practical Backup Solution
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:36:00
1 Hi Lord,
2 on Wednesday, 2006-01-11 at 18:25:32, you wrote:
3 > (it's an Iomega ditto QIC-80 parallel port floppy-protocol tape drive). I
4 > also bought a very low quality DVD+RW drive (MagicSpin non-MMC, non-Ricoh -
5
6 Beh. A faster solution with similar security to either one would be a
7 tar -cf/dev/null /
8 If you're concerned mainly about FS errors, accidental deletes and such,
9 I'd also suggest a second harddrive. It's relatively cheap, very fast,
10 random-access and pretty secure. If on top of that you want protection
11 against things like overvoltage, lightning etc. that might fry your
12 whole system, you need some removable media like MO or tape. I used a
13 DAT streamer for quite a while. DAT doesn't have the best tapes either,
14 they wear out pretty quickly, but both tapes and drives are cheap
15 nowadays and more than adequate for your amount of data. MO has a good
16 reputation too but I don't have any experience with it. It seems a bit
17 out of fashion today so you may be able to get a good deal on a drive.
18
19 cheers!
20 Matthias
21 --
22 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
23 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665