From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT - My new SSD.
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 16:36:53
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 I've just bought myself a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO M.2 SSD. (Do I get a
4 prize for the number of inscruitable abbreviations in a row? ;-) The
5 idea is, this will form a core part of my new machine, just as soon as
6 AMD Ryzen motherboards start being reasonably available.
7
8 I put it into my current (7½ YO) box to test it out.
9
10 Physically installing it was no problem at all - I also bought a PCIe
11 carrier card with an M.2 slot. Making Linux see it was also no sweat -
12 I just added the appropriate settings to the device driver bit of the
13 kernel's menuconfig (as detailed in the Gentoo NVMe wiki page), rebuilt
14 and re-installed it and it worked.
15
16 I'd had some slight worry about how to actually drive this thing. The
17 night before, I'd emerged sys-apps/nvme-cli, and became bewildered by
18 all the things it appears you need to understands for NVMe drives. But
19 my new SSD, /dev/nvme0, already carried a "namespace", /dev/nvme0n1.
20 Before long, the "namespace" had an MS-DOS partition table and two 20GB
21 ext-3 partitions, just to try it out.
22
23 I copied /usr/portage onto one of these partitions and mounted it at
24 /usr/portage. I mounted the other one at /var/tmp.
25
26 Some timings:
27
28 An emerge -puND @world (when there's nothing to merge) took 38.5s. With
29 my mirrored HDDs, this took 45.6s. (Though usually it takes nearer a
30 minute.)
31
32 An emerge of Firefox took 34m23s, compared with 37m34s with the HDDs.
33 The lack of the sound of the HDD heads moving was either disconcerting
34 or a bit of a relief, I'm not sure which.
35
36 Copying my email spool file (~110,000 entries, ~1.4 GB) from SSD -> SSD
37 took 6.1s. From HDD RAID -> HDD RAID it took 30.0s.
38
39 #########################################################################
40
41 I must confess to feeling somewhat underwhelmed by this new SSD. I'm
42 quite some way off of the advertised ~3 GB/s read speed and ~1.5 GB/s
43 write speed (which admittedly needs PCIe version 3). Quite likely, I've
44 not got the drive set up optimally, but I think it's connected to the
45 rest of the PC via four PCIe version 2 lanes. (I'll need to work out
46 how to check this.)
47
48 But in a pure file copy, I'm only getting a factor 5 speed increase over
49 my 7½ year old HDD pair. Doing portage things, it's shaving only modest
50 factors off of the timings.
51
52 My intention was to have a RAID pair of these NVMe drives in my new box.
53 Now I'm thinking more along the lines of using this NVMe drive for the
54 OS, and a RAID pair of (cheaper) SATA SDDs for precious data - the extra
55 performance that NVMe gives over SATA, although more significant with a
56 modern speed machine than my 7½ year old one, seems unlikely to justify
57 the extra cost.
60 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).