From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] amd64 install quirk
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 21:28:38
1 Hello,
2
3 I have install (2) amd64 systems, an amd64 (turion) and
4 and amd64 in a DX-5150, both HP systems.
5
6 I having trouble with a system, pieced together.
7
8 I managed to get gparted to reformat the drive
9 and install XP on sda1. It boots and the machine
10 is fine.
11
12 Now trying to install gentoo(amd64) on the other partitions
13 is becoming a challenge.
14
15 If I use the 2006.1-livecd-amd64 livecd, the sata dvd/cd
16 (plextor PX-755SA) gives me problems. The cd will work
17 at the beginning, but then gives this error message:
18
19 <snip>
20 Keeping default keymap
21 Determining root device...
22 The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
23 Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
24 boot() ::
25 <end/snip>
26
27 nothing I enter works.
28
29 I try the amd64-2006.1.minimum CD and get the same results
30
31 OK, so I think huh, just add an IDE cdrom. WEll that solves this
32 problem but during the install when you get to the setup/format
33 the disk, the sata disk is not seen. It's like there is no harddrive
34 present.
35
36 Ok, so I think ah, just disconnect the sata DVD/cd drive?
37 That does not help either.
38
39 So I then say, what the hell....
40
41 I use an x86 image and get all the way to actually running the
42 installation, to find out that the ethernet driver does not work.
43 It does boot, See the hard drive and go all the way to the end, but
44 the ethernet does not get properly set up.
45
46 <snip>
47 • Dual LAN jacks
48 • Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111B
49 - Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in single chip
50 - Supports 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s
51 - Compliance with PCI-Express Bus specification v1.0a
52
53 • Realtek PCI GbLAN controller 8110S
54 - Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in single chip.
55 - Supports 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s.
56 - Compliance with PCI 2.3
57 <end/snip>
58
59 Maybe I need to load some special drivers onto a usbstick
60 or with a custom cd to get the ethernet working?
64 This is a very new mobo: MSI K9A platium, with dual pci-x slots
65 just for ATI video cards:
66
67 http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=737
68
69 I'm stumped as to how to approach this installation or what to try next?
72 Maybe a beta copy of 2007.0 live cd, or such?
75 ideas?
76
77 James
84 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list