From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OpenSource Cellular
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 22:33:33
1 I have an expensive cellualr service and a Galaxy Note 9.
2 It SUCKS really bad. I spend way too much time, just dealing with
3 a close source system and way too many vendor traps. I'm done with with,
4 and am curious if others have similar experiences and are interested in
5 alternatives, that we the citizens control. In my newly forming
6 approach, there is room for vendors and consumers and open source
7 developers. I'm in the USA, but, there is absolutely no reason this
8 movement I am proposing, could not sweep the globe, IP centric, free and
9 open. Here is my posting to gentoo-embedded, as embedded, secure
10 devices, that are kept secure by the device owner, are central to what I
11 am proposing. Strong filters and other technologies to keep criminal
12 activity, defince by the governments, courts and citizens of the various
13 countries, are paramount to my (our?) vision. But the inherent right to
14 security and hardware and software, is the right of the citizen, and
15 must supercede corporate profit schemes, criminal activities and
16 maligned actions of the collective governments.
19 Time for FREEDOM to reign! (spell checker on thunderbird temporarily
20 broken...).
21
22 Be at peace,
23 James Horton, PE
24
25 Here's the gentoo-embedded posting::
29 Hello gentoo embedded,
30
31 I've had a galaxy note 9 on Verizon for a year. As a unix variant
32 user, since the early 80's, IT SUCKS, really bad; time to fix.
35 Since, I am addicted to most things gentoo centric, I have a new plan
36 to ease my cellular pains.....
39 What I'm thinking is a flip-cell-phone, just for robust converversation.
40 It'd be nice if it had a data-port (serial, ?) to tether any number of
41 tablet/laptop gentoo devices to as one pathway for mobile
42 communications. A reliable, gentoo-friend wireless service, USA centric,
43 would be another great pathway to facilitate mobile communications.
46 Eventually, I intend to add other form of wireless connectivity, the
47 more the better. Surely some work has preceeded this effort, links
48 and suggestions are most welcome. I intend to collaborate with others
49 that are just tired of the OS on top of most cell phones. They hinder
50 my thoughts and efforts, and imho, it's just time for the open source
51 communities to pull together and create viable alternatives, so we
52 can control the software we use for wireless and mobile communications.
53 Surely others have already blazed this pathway?
56 I also have experience with embedded sytems communications devices and
57 microcontrollers, running minimalistic codes, so prototyping an open
58 source cellular device, is not a problem, just a lot of work and funding
59 for the prototypes. Respond, or send me private email, if your
60 circumstances warrant. I'm very tired of the hardware/firmware/software
61 offernings of the commercial vendors.
64 I'm so pissed, I just may run for public office, with the only goal is
65 to fix our F.up communicaitons systems, and furthermore, bring privacy
66 back to citizens that have no criminal past. I surely hope, and pray,
67 that a few other talented hardware/firmware centric folks, feel the
68 pain, and are ready to legally fix this bullshit of subversives
69 controlling the airwave. There is plent of action where commercial
70 entities can prosper, and we, the citizens in good standing, can have
71 freedom of hardware and software, that WE control. Time to action!
76 sincerely,
77 James Horton, PE