From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 22:02:14
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:23:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't like, really don't like, the work that currently goes into
5 >> making my 'init thingy' work. All the Gentoo docs about creating
6 >> hierarchies by hand and populating them with files and then compressing
7 >> it. All that drives me nuts. It should be 100% automatic, and probably
8 >> is with the right tools which I haven't found.
9 >
10 > The right tools are included, and documented, with your kernel. Create a
11 > plain text config file detailing the contents of the initramfs and set
12 > CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE to the path top this file. That and an init
13 > script are all you need to have the initramfs automatically built with
14 > the current versions of all files when you compile your kernel.
15 >
16 > No messing around with copying files from the main filesystem or calling
17 > arcane incantations involving cpio, "make all" takes care of it all.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Neil Bothwick
23 If you have one handy and it's not something huge (I don't think it is
24 but I don't really know) maybe you could post an example of what that
25 file looks like?
26
27 Thanks,
28 Mark