From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dying hard drive
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:06:22
1 On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 July 2010 05:14:08 David Relson wrote:
3 >> /var/log/messages has indicated a slew of XFS problems on an external
4 >> USB hard drive (see attachment).  These look pretty fatal.  Anybody
5 >> think the file system is recoverable?
6 >
7 > You'll have to try to recover it, to see if it is possible:  xfs is vulnerable
8 > to power interruptions, so a faulty USB cable can cause corruption.
9
10 I had exactly this problem with a USB HDD formatted with xfs. The USB
11 cable that it came with was rubbish... the drive would disconnect &
12 reconnect on its own for no apparent reason, and corruption happened
13 of course. I replaced it with another cable and it worked fine after
14 that.
15
16 A few months later the power supply started to fail, it would
17 occasionally not provide enough power and the drive would go offline
18 or start beeping/clicking. At first I thought the disk was bad
19 (clicking is never good) but it was actually the sound of the drive
20 trying to spin up and failing. Eventually the power brick couldn't
21 even spin up the drive at all. I replaced the power supply and now the
22 drive works fine again, for now...