From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 21:55:48
1 On 03/01/18 21:39, Stroller wrote:
2 >> What this completely misses, is that gentoo-sources merely DOWNLOADS THE
3 >> > LATEST KERNEL SOURCE. So updating gentoo-sources every time does nothing
4 >> > to change the kernel you are running.
5
6 > I don't know why you think I missed that.
7
8 Because you're banging on like downloading the source is the same thing
9 as installing a new kernel - which it's not.
10 >
11 > If you `emerge gentoo-sources` then updates of them will appear every time you --pretend update world until you allow them to be emerged, hence my use of the word "nagged".
12 >
13 Which is why I just let them appear and clutter up /usr/src :-)
14
15 > If you want to install them, that's your prerogative, but just allowing them to be automatically emerged fills up your system with unwanted uncompressed kernel sources, consuming huge amounts of space.
16 >
17 I take your point - you're paying for storage by the meg, and a quick du
18 -sh tells me a kernel is approx 1G - ouch.
19
20 But is the OP like you, or like me - about to upgrade from a home system
21 that already has 6TB of storage ...
22
23 > 20GB should be ample space for an operating system IMO, but between /usr/src and /usr/portage it's pretty easy to consume a quarter of that.
24
25 I remember when it fitted on an 8" floppy :-) It was bad enough
26 installing Slack from a 30-floppy set ...
27
28 What would be nice, would be if "emerge --depclean" had the smarts to
29 recognise that /usr/src/linux pointed to the current active kernel, and
30 didn't wipe that when it cleaned out everything else :-) That way, at
31 most you could have the current and latest kernel sources available
32 pretty easily.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Wol