From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot Gentoo to clean windows
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:14:04
1 On Friday 28 March 2008, Stroller wrote:
2 > I deal with h0sed Windows installations for my customers all the
3 > time. I regularly boot a Knoppix CD and copy the whole C: drive to a
4 >   portable disk so that I have a complete backup. I find it
5 > reassuring to use Linux for this purpose because I feel confident
6 > that cp or rsync will copy _every file on the drive_ without just
7 > silently ignoring those marked with the hidden flag, or bitching
8 > about permissions.
9
10 I prefer to save the entire partition with PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost)
11 or equivalent tools to avoid gotchas with charsets.
12 rsync and cp are excellent, but you have to mount the partition with the
13 right options not to loose coherence in file naming.
14
15 Everything else in your post is no more no less what I do to rescue all
16 those boxes people bring to me :-)
17 Starting from the uninstall of bloated antivirus!
18
19 Great post
20 Francesco
23 Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r3, Compiled #1 PREEMPT Thu Feb 28 22:23:31
25 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4408.81 Bogomips Total
26 aemaeth
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list