From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re:
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 21:27:16
1 On 2014-03-04, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > It's not 100% apparent how the install works from reading the handbook,
4 > you have to do it to see how it works. Do note that all distro installer
5 > work in this general way, Gentoo just lets you see more of the process.
6 > In summary:
7 >
8 > You need a running OS to install an OS. You get this anywhere you choose
9 > but the easiest is to boot from a removeable media (CD, USB, etc).
10
11 Booting the Gentoo minimal install "CD" (from CD/DVD or USB flash
12 drive) is the canonical way to get to the point where you start
13 following the steps in the handbook. On one recent install, I used
14 systemrescuecd 4.xx, which gives you a nice minimal XFCE desktop with
15 the Midori web browser you can use to read the handbook (and wander
16 around the web while stuff builds). There was one step -- installing
17 syslog-ng, I think -- where there was a glitch due to an environment
18 variable set by srcd.
19
20 Immediately after doing the "chroot" do the following command
21
22 # export path=
23
24 See below for more details
25 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-921678-start-0.html
26 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-786386.html
27
28 Another convenient option is to boot the minimal install CD make sure
29 network works, start sshd, and then log in from another machine where
30 you can cut/paste stuff from the handbook into a terminal window.
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! So this is what it
34 at feels like to be potato
35 gmail.com salad