From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome not working
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 01:16:22
1 On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 07:06:02AM -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote
5 >> > When I start gdm, I get a message on the screen which says oh no,
6 >> > something has gone wrong. The log file is at
7 >> > http://pastebin.com/qwNE7ee6 -- I would appreciate any help.
8 >> >
9 >> > I am running gentoo testing with the 3.8 unmasked.
10 >>
11 >> Direct from the "Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users"
12 >> flamewar on gentoo-dev...
13 >>
14 >> > And now that GNOME 3.8 is out, the game starts over again: logind
15 >> > is a hard requirement, logind is part of systemd, starting logind
16 >> > (which replaces consolekit) is not that trivial as you may think
17 >> > (and is the thing I started to work on anyway).
18 >> >
19 >> > And if this wasn't enough, it means that if you want GNOME 3.8,
20 >> > you need to get logind, which may or not may get included in our
21 >> > udev ebuild and if it won't, it means that you will be forced to use
22 >> > systemd as device manager if you want GNOME 3.8, which is believe
23 >> > it or not, the thing that Ubuntu did.
24 >>
25 >> Do you have systemd/logind installed?
26 >
27 > Nope, sure don't. None of the ebuilds pulled it in. But what about
28 > startx? Would I need logind to do that?
29
30 When you use startx, what does your .xinitrc have? Try with only
31
32 exec gnome-session
33
34 Regards.