From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 21:03:29
1 On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:16:12PM +0100, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the following happens some minutes before:
5 > I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
6 > and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
7 >
8 > I restarted firefox...which did not help.
9 >
10 > I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
11 > the commandline...same results...
12 >
13 > Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
14 > and the answer was that from above.
15 >
16 > I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
17 >
18 > The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
19 >
20 > Any other access was working the whole time.
21 >
22 > Was my DSL modem hacked?
23 > Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
24
25 I've seen similar problems with Youtube. Switching the DNS servers in
26 /etc/resolv.conf seems to fix the problem every time.
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications