From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:08:24
1 Am Sun, 11 May 2014 09:53:10 +0100
2 schrieb Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On Saturday 10 May 2014 10:33:19 William Kenworthy wrote:
5 > > Note that as I said in my original
6 > > email, "dirvish" really hammers a file system and only reiserfs seems to
7 > > withstand it though I have gotten errors with it in the past. Ive tried
8 > > ext4 (takes only a couple of backup sessions and its unrecoverable,
9 > > btrfs an occasional error with two complete losses of the
10 > > partition/filesystem since Christmas and reiserfs gets rare errors.
13 > I moved away from reisefs to ext4 because I was getting some random lockups
14 > when I/O was high. While on reiserfs I also had a couple of corrupt mysql
15 > files and all around poor performance. Now, this was on a machine with a
16 > deficient PSU (I replaced a couple of capacitors since then and it is now
17 > working properly) so I don't want to blame the filesystem because of this
18 > hardware problem. In any case, under these impaired conditions ext4 was a
19 > much better performing filesystem than reiserfs. No lock ups, significantly
20 > faster and no corruption was observed in normal operation - I didn't try to
21 > hammer it.
22 >
23 > So I read your paragraph above with surprise, because in my experience the
24 > opposite was true. At the time I thought that reiserfs was perhaps suffering
25 > from bitrot, because these symptoms had gotten worse over time. This is on an
26 > installation running since 2005. Not sure what to conclude from these
27 > anecdotal observations ... :-/
28
29 I remember that OpenSuse also changed their default from ReiserFS to Ext3 for
30 similar reasons [0]. I never experienced any problems with ReiserFS, but I also
31 got the impression that it was going nowhere and that if I wanted a reliable
32 system, Ext4 was the way to go.
33
34 Although funnily enough, when browsing through the btrfs ML, Duncan [1] shares
35 William's experience of ReiserFS being more resilient than even Ext4. In fact,
36 he writes that one reason he trusts btrfs to the degree he does is that Chris
37 Mason (the btrfs lead developer, for those who don't know) has a history with
38 ReiserFS (he used to work on it for SuSE [2]).
39
40 So yeah, as has been said already, everyone has different experiences.
41
42 [0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiserfs#Move_away_from_ReiserFS_to_ext3
43 [1] He used to be a regular in gentoo-amd64, when it was still active; yes, you
44 know, the guy who wrote the longest emails ;) .
45 [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs#History
46 --
47 Marc Joliet
48 --
49 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
50 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup