From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a file containing confidential info
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:40:15
1 Hi All,
2
3 For some years now I have saved my passwords and other rather critical login
4 data and information as database file on a Psion pda. The file is encrypted
5 and decrypted using a Psion application called FreeCrypt. FreeCrypt uses an
6 RC4 algorithm to encrypt the data.
7
8 As the hardware is approaching the end of its useful life I wanted to move
9 away from my dependence on Psion, or use another method in parallel. I have
10 of course gpg on my laptop, but I am concerned that I will be keeping both my
11 private key and the encrypted file on the same machine.
12
13 What would you suggest I should use bearing in mind that simplicity and use of
14 default linux tools would be most preferable, commensurate with as high a
15 degree of security as possible.
16 --
17 Regards,
18 Mick