From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java apps in 64 bit JVM?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:23:51
1 On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 29 June 2009 20:31:07 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >> > Hi all,
6 >> >
7 >> > The company has a Juniper Secure Connect VPN and I run amd64. The process
8 >> > is: log in via a web page in a browser, click a button and the page
9 >> > starts a java APP to create the ssl tunnel - a full blown Swing app, not
10 >> > a mere applet.
11 >> >
12 >> > I've only ever got this Java app to run in 32 bit Firefox with the
13 >> > java-x86- emul package. 64 bit Firefox, Konqueror, Opera all fail. I've
14 >> > tried sun-jdk, sun-jre (nsplugin and nsplugin-2), blackdown and icedtea.
15 >> >
16 >> > The only thing that works is firefox-bin with a 32bit jvm. The app
17 >> > doesn't do much in the way of logging so I don't know why it's failing.
18 >> > This strikes me as odd:
19 >> >
20 >> > A java app is bytecode that is independent of platform. It should make no
21 >> > difference whether a 32bit or 64bit jvm executes the bytecode as the
22 >> > format of the Java Virtual Machine and it's bytecode is constant.
23 >> >
24 >> > Surely?
25 >>
26 >> According to my Google search results, a 64-bit Sun Java plug-in has
27 >> been provided starting with Java SE 6 Update 12 Build 02. You should
28 >> be able to select your preferred plug-in and virtual machine using
29 >> eselect (I don't think I have tried it... I can't remember the last
30 >> time I encountered a Java applet on the web)
31 >
32 > I said in my original post that I had tried a 64 bit jre without success. It's
33 > also NOT an applet - it continues to run as it's own full-blown process even
34 > after the browser exits.
35 >
36 > And the correct commands to configure system and user vm's were executed each
37 > time.
38
39 Okay, I misunderstood. It looks like it may be a Juniper-related
40 problem and not a Java problem. I have used Java Web Start apps using
41 64-bit java on my system and it works fine, but googling juniper vpn
42 shows several people on various distros having problems similar to
43 yours. This page appears to have some info about what you need to do
44 in order to get it going: http://mad-scientist.us/juniper.html (from
45 an Ubuntu perspective)
46
47 There are some sample JWS apps on
48 http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/desktop/javawebstart/demos.html
49 if you want to make sure your Java Web Start is working.
50
51 Since 64-bit Java from Sun is so new, I didn't really see many
52 references to the Juniper VPN from a 64-bit standpoint (just people
53 trying to get it working with 32-bit JWS in a 64-bit browser etc). One
54 person said they installed the 32-bit JVM to use with the VPN and used
55 64-bit with everything else. You may need to be the trailblazer. :)