From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating Blue-ray video discs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 19:13:49
1 Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 >
3 > --
4 >  Best Regards,
9 > Laurence Perkins
10 > OS Engineer
11 > OpenEye
12 > www.openeye.net
13 >
14 > On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 07:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
15 >> Andrew Udvare wrote:
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> On Fri, May 29, 2020, 05:02 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
19 >>> <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
20 >>>> Howdy,
21 >>>>
22 >>>> A few weeks ago, I ran up on a deal on a Blu-ray burner.  It's a LG and
23 >>>> smartctrl -i shows this:
24 >>>>
25 >>>>
26 >>>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
27 >>>> Vendor:               HL-DT-ST
28 >>>> Product:              BD-RE  WH16NS40
29 >>>> Revision:             1.04
30 >>>> Compliance:           SPC-3
31 >>>> >> Terminate command early due to bad response to IEC mode page
32 >>>> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
33 >>>> '-T permissive' options.
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>>>
37 >>>> Anyway, I have some HD videos I want to burn to a Blu-ray disc in HD.
38 >>>> I've used Devede and Devedeng to create DVDs for a while.  I prefer the
39 >>>> old Devede but the new ng version works well.  It doesn't however seem
40 >>>> to create Blu-ray discs.  I googled and found how to play some of them
41 >>>> at least that are commercially made.  I can't find however what
42 >>>> software
43 >>>> is used to create my own.
44 >>>>
45 >>>> Does anyone know what software to use to create HD video Blu-ray
46 >>>> discs?
47 >>>>
48 >>>
49 >>> You're referring to Blu-ray authoring like creating menus and making
50 >>> a video disc that works in a set-top player. There isn't any
51 >>> software for Linux I know of that does this, especially the menu
52 >>> part. The menu part can be in a simple format or it can be more
53 >>> advanced with BD-J.
54 >>>
55 >>> Studios use Scenarist
56 >>> BD https://www.scenarist.com/scenarist-bd-professional-blu-ray-disc-authoring/
57 >>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scenarist.com_scenarist-2Dbd-2Dprofessional-2Dblu-2Dray-2Ddisc-2Dauthoring_&d=DwMDaQ&c=sJXHf1mumFHnbuqawQcOuA&r=MLC99WkEiyNGhxWZ52v4PVQ0MpIXOzl3Sdnj9liHsoY&m=7KzhgdyvQguAgsRtkWBlr7r0zIc1OY7g8XtBQeqhQgg&s=_FHRC6Ym3RznZj5OX4x3vfbM7CFO-_7MEgvpvyinzik&e=>
58 >>>
59 >>> There's MultiAVCHD for free. Maybe it works with Wine?
62 >> I tried wine once, it was a disaster.  I can't recall what little
63 >> program I was trying to run but it never did. It seems that what I
64 >> want to do isn't doable on Linux and requires software that has to be
65 >> purchased at that.  That's disappointing that Linux can't do this.
66 >> Looks like I'll have to use my new Blu-ray burner for data backups.
67 >> Bummer.  I really wanted to make that gardening video HD.  No wonder
68 >> people use their game boxes and buy media centers that have hard
69 >> drives in them and then stream things from the internet.  Basically,
70 >> other than storing data files, Blu-ray isn't worth much except for
71 >> commercially made media.
72 >>
73 >> Well, even if I knew this before, I'm still glad to have the thing.
74 >> It certainly holds more files than a DVD.
75 >>
76 >> If anyone knows of a tool to do this, I'm all ears.
77 >>
78 >> Dale
79 >>
80 >> :-)  :-)
81 >>
82 >> P. S.  Time to go to the doctor and get my weekly shots.
83 >
84 > note that blu-ray r and re disks are only bit stable for about 5
85 > years. i recommend dvdisaster for upping the amount of ecc data to
86 > reduce your lossage.
87 >
88 > doing some quick reading, it looks like you just need to get the right
89 > filesystem, filenames, and video codecs on the disk. it's different
90 > from dvd, but should be documented somewhere. i don't have time to go
91 > hunting for it right now, but if nothing else some examination of a
92 > blu-ray that plays correctly should show you what goes where.
93 >
94 > lmp
95 >
96 > p.s. apologies; shift key isn't working.
99 Well, I don't have a Blu-ray disc to look at but I'll google around and
100 see what I can find.  There has to be Linux user out there somewhere
101 that has documented doing this.  I don't know how many millions of us
102 there is but surely one has burned a disc that plays in a Blu-ray player.
103
104 5 years.  I rotate at least once a year, sometimes twice.  Shouldn't be
105 a problem.  Plus, it's just a additional backup measure.
106
107 Oh, for those who recall the hard drive thread and the PMR and SMR
108 discussion.  I found out my 6TB drive that is part of /home is a PMR
109 drive.  That's why I haven't noticed any issues when I thought it was a
110 SMR drive.  So, I only need to replace the 3TB drive with a larger 6 or
111 8TB drive.  Then I'll have either 12TBs or 14TBs of drive space for
112 /home.  I plan to use the removed 3TB and another drive that I think is
113 3TB as well as backup measures, kept outside the home of course.  Maybe
114 be building a NAS thingy at some point.  I want TV speakers first.
115
116 Dale
117