From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question concerning graphics...
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:48:20
1 Am 10.03.2013 09:54, schrieb Chris Walters:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > I have a couple of questions concerning what graphic drivers you use.
5 > Does anyone use the proprietary ATI drivers, or have used them? Would
6 > you recommend them? I just recently started using the ati-drivers
7 > package, but I don't really notice a difference - yes it does say the
8 > frame rate is much higher, but I am not sure it is worth losing my
9 > framebuffer over them.
10 >
11 > Technically, I lost my frame buffer because I am using an initramfs
12 > (initrd) because I have an encrypted root file system, and a separate
13 > non-encrypted usr partition. I still have not been able to figure out
14 > how to get either uvesafb or vesafb working through the initramfs.
15 > They will both load fine, before my initrd starts, then they seem to
16 > disappear.
17 >
18 > In case you're wondering, before I changed to the proprietary ati
19 > drivers, I was using the kernel framebuffer for my video card(s). Two
20 > Radeon HD 5000 series cards. I did have to insert the proper ucode
21 > into my kernel, but it worked.
22 >
23 > Chris
24 >
25 > .
28 yes, it is worth using them. Because of proper power management alone.
29 You might not care about framerates, but the open source drivers use a
30 lot more energy - for nothing.