From: "Marvin Gülker" <m-guelker@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Off-Topic] arch-openrc
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 11:59:31
1 On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 06:50:17PM +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > Well what do you know?! Alternative to monolithic stack solutions now exist
3 > as alternatives for other distros too:
4 >
5 > https://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/
6
7 The GitHub links on that page are broken (404).
8
9 I was an Arch user before, and switched to Gentoo due to its prime
10 support for OpenRC, where it is no second thought shoehorned ontop of a
11 distro focusing on systemd.
12
13 With Arch, it's different. The no-systemd people need to run after all
14 cahnges made by the Arch team, and then place their own changes on top
15 of that. This creates certainly a lot of work, and certainly requires a
16 lot of manpower, which I am not sure these people have available. This,
17 in consequence, leads me to security considerations. How quickly do
18 security problem fixes propagate to arch-openrc? Also, is there some
19 kind of non-IRC community like a mailinglist or a forum for them, so
20 that one can at least estimate its popularity? Do they even have a
21 website with RSS-subscribable announcements?
22
23 There is a wealth of Linux distros with one person behind it. I will not
24 use such Linux distros, because whenever something happens to this
25 person, all users are screwed (I have heard people referring to this
26 phenomenon cynically as the "truck factor" or "bus factor", a term which
27 I not necessarily like due to its fatality -- the person might also just
28 lose interest).
29
30 I will watch what happens around systemd-free ArchLinux, but for the
31 time being, I will stay with Gentoo happily on a well-maintained
32 OpenRC.
33
34 Marvin
37 Blog: https://www.guelkerdev.de