From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [was: What can cause printer to crop top of page?] /etc/papersize is ignored
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:51:05
1 On Thursday, 28 December 2017 06:14:23 GMT Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > For the record I would also like to add that using the duplexer on some
3 > poorly designed printers cuts off the bottom or top of the page without
4 > any type of notification.
5
6 Debugging cups and trying all conceivable combos of settings didn't get me
7 anywhere. Then I decided to start looking around the brother driver files
8 installed under /opt/brother/Printers/hl3140cw/, where I found ./inf/
9 brhl3140cwrc and ./inf/brhl3140cwfunc both specifying Letter instead of A4 as
10 paper size.
11
12 So, I've set "PageSize=A4" in brhl3140cwrc and it now prints correctly aligned
13 pages once more.
14
15 I'm not sure if this is the default path for these files across distros, or if
16 some symlink from /usr/libexec/cups/filter/ or /usr/share/cups/model/ is not
17 working as it should. In any case, the bug seems to be that using the cups
18 GUI interface doesn't have any effect on the driver configuration files which
19 are by default set to PageSize=Letter and also messes up the created ppd file
20 used by cups.
21
22 I'm posting this here to save others time, should they come across the same
23 problem.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick