From: Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 08:49:51
1 On 11/07/2016 06:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 2016-11-06 22:54, Willie M wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> http://freedns.afraid.org/
7 >>
8 >> ++ ++
9 >>
10 >> I had used both Dyn and NoIP before, but they both went all Web 2.0 on
11 >> me (and other well known ones probably did the same).
12 >>
13 >> FreeDNS is just perfect for me - a blast of fresh air from the past :-)
14 >
15 > Just the tiniest bit thin on explaining what the heck you are expected
16 > to do on the various pages that appear when setting up an account.
17 >
18 > I'd like to have a real ip for a change... been doing the fake home
19 > lan thing for years and always there are problems with sendmail or
20 > other mail apps. Either masquerading or some other work around.
21 >
22 > Can anyone tell me if the freedns place will supply me with an ip that
23 > will work for sendmail? Will stand up across the internet when other
24 > internet hosts do reverse dns on my address for mail purposes.
25 >
26 > They advertise static addresses too, is there any draw back to that?
30 Hey Harry,
31
32 If I a not mistaken if you change your nameservers to FreeDNS you will
33 be able to have that dynamic IP Address that way. So your reverse lookup
34 should work just fine.
35
36 Only problem is that if your IP address changes, you would have a short
37 amount of time that your server would not respond (because of the IP
38 change). The default TTL on FreeDNS is 3600 seconds (1 hour).
39
40 Reading on the front page it says that you can edit the TTL if you add
41 your own domain. I don't know for sure how it all works because I have
42 never added on. It doesn't hurt to try and it seems like it would be a
43 lot better than what you are using now.
44
45 Hope this helps.
49 Willie Matthews
50 matthews.willie80@×××××.com