From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: libpng12 is missing [TEMP SOLN]
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 17:25:08
1 On May 16, 2010, at 2:30 AM, Chris Walters wrote:
2
3 > On 5/15/2010 11:06 AM, Roy Wright wrote:
4 >> Argh. Just have to vent a little.
5 >>
6 >> So on to my list a applications to be installed. Firefox check, openoffice check, handbrake...crap. Handbrake is one of the non-standard packages that includes their own version of support libraries. You guessed it, libpng12 dependent. Argh!
7 >>
8 >> Have fun,
9 >> Roy
12 > I had the same problem with a 'missing' libpng12. There are 2 slots for
13 > libpng: slot 0 and slot 1.2. You DON'T want anything in the 1.2 slot.
14 > What you DO want is the lonely ebuild in the 0 slot. Why? It will
15 > create the libpng12.la file that is needed for packages to find the
16 > library. So this is what I did:
17 >
18 > 1. Ran "emerge -C libpng" to remove ALL versions of libpng that were
19 > installed.
20 > 2. Ran "emerge =libpng-1.2.43-r2". I believe that is the version of
21 > the slot 0 libpng.
22 > 3. Ran "lafilefixer --justfixit" -- just in case.
23 > 4. Re-emerged cairo to make sure it was linked to my newly installed
24 > libpng12
25 > 5. Belatedly realized that I should mask every version of libpng above
26 > the slot 0 one, and did so.
27 > 6. Ran "equery d libpng" from the 'gentoolkit' package.
28 > 7. Re-emerged everything on that list (even Open office - ugh).
29 >
30 > In step 7, everything compiled and installed just fine - no errors.
31 > From what I can see, this looks like an upstream bug, where their source
32 > is coded to look only for libpng12, and nothing else. For me it would
33 > stop with an error during the linking phase, or right at the beginning
34 > (at least those packages had checks).
35 >
36 > I hope this helps someone.
37 >
38 > Chris
41 Got handbrake installed. When initially going thru the mess I ended up with
42 both slot 0 and slot 1.2 installed. So unmerged slot 1.2, did a revdep-rebuild,
43 then handbrake built fine.
44
45 So system is (for now at least) pure 1.4.
46
47 Have fun,
48 Roy