From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More memory?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 01:19:57
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 >>what kernel are you using ? in 2.6 yes definetively there is a way, also
4 >>some of the 2.4 series kernel was swapping too much, google for "swappines".
5 >>normally it's set to 60, lower that value and your swap will empty.
6 >>if you have a pre 2.4.19 kernel upgrade to a newer one also of the same
7 >>series.
11 >I'm using 2.4.27-hardened, and I think swappiness is only available
12 >for 2.6. Maybe it's time to move to 2.6, but this is a commercial
13 >server so I'm not so sure.
17 If it's a commercial server and it's load under the 40%
18 it's easy, buy a disk and build a chrooted gentoo with hardened-dev-sources
19 then schedule a downtime of some hour to make the change.
20 Before to do this anyway it's better to figure out what really is the
21 problem, try to isolate it,
22 reboot, cat somewhere that output of "top -b -n1" and diff one hour
23 after and one day after,
24 try also "ps ax -eo user,vsize,size,command" and "man ps" I bet you will
25 find what is strange
26
27 btw 2.4.27 it's *not* an old kernel.
28
29 >>Also it's not true with older kernels that running out of memory it's
30 >>safe, *really* it's not if you are also writing a lot to a disk.
34 >Even if there is no crashing and the program just fails to load.
35 >That's no good either. I don't think disabling swap is the solution
36 >at all (we agree).
37 >
38 >- Grant
39 >