From: John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild and gcj
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:08:43
I maintain an up-to-date system that requires gcj.   For some time, running
revdep-rebuild -p generates this output:

~--> revdep-rebuild -p
Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libgcjawt.la (requires
/usr/lib/lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.la)
  broken /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/libgij.la (requires
/usr/lib/libgcj.la)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot -p =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3
Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run
revdep-rebuild.

But re-emerging gcc doesn't solve the dependency problem.  In fact, both
libgcjawt.la and
libgij.la appear to be installed by "emerge gcc".  gcj.la and
lib-gnu-java-awt-peer-gtk.la
both appear on my system, and both appear to be installed by "emerge
gcc".  However,
both are located in /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1, not in /usr/lib.

Is this a bug, or is there something I can do to fix my system?  (Other
than put in
soft links to the needed libraries.)

John Blinka