From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:34:06
1 On Thursday 19 July 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote about 'RE:
2 [gentoo-user] 2 to 3??':
3 > > -----Original Message-----
4 > > From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. [mailto:bss03@××××××××××.net]
5 > > If you don't like the GPLv3, you probably didn't
6 > > *really* like the GPLv2 and might be more interested
7 > > in licensing anything you contribute under something
8 > > like MIT/X11/BSD.
9 > >
10 > > Those licenses allow others to take your code, cripple
11 > > it, and sell it to you (perhaps even on a device) for
12 > > $100. Oh, and offer you an "upgrade" to (_the same device_
13 > > running) your original code (which still has a few bugs, you
14 > > might want a support contract) for $10000.
15 >
16 > I can't agree with your statements here. Unless you have
17 > no understanding of copyright law, you should realize that
18 > YOUR code cannot be crippled regardless of the license that
19 > you put it under.
20
21 Not true. Say you release code into the public domain [1]. Now, evil
22 corporation X takes that code, strips out some features, sign it and put
23 it on a cell phone. They sell you the phone for $300 (free with 2 year
24 contract) or a version with your original software on it (the exact same
25 hardware) for $600 (no discount available). They pull a "TiVo" can ensure
26 that you can't load modified software on it -- or you can but then the
27 phone refuses to do anything put print "This phone needs service. Please
28 take this phone to your local retailer for service." They don't even tell
29 you it's your code -- someone in Turkey found that out and emailed you in
30 broken English. ;)
31
32 Your code is locked up and you can no longer upgrade it (or even use ALL of
33 the features that YOU wrote) without paying $$$.
34
35 Sure, you can still upgrade and release your code, but you can't run it on
36 a device YOU PAID for that is ALREADY running YOUR code, UNMODIFIED. You
37 also can't help other people using these phones that THEY paid for, even
38 though your code runs unmodified.
39
40 The GPL has always been engineered to prevent this behavior. The GPLv1 and
41 GPLv2 both concentrated on the way to prevent this through copyright law.
42 However, this has proven to be not enough. After bring cases to count
43 (and settling because the case was so clear-cut) multiple times, it became
44 fairly clear to all parties that GPLv2 was overly difficult, if not
45 impossible, to be simply "attacking" with copyright law. So, entities
46 that would rather not contribute, have attacked with technological and
47 patent-law methods to restrict users' freedoms and the GPLv3 meets those
48 attacks head on. I hope RMS and the FSF will act even more quickly
49 (either with aggressive litigation or further license revisions) to future
50 attacks on the freedoms that are meant to be preserved throughout the Free
51 Software ecosystem.
52
53 > The code that YOU write and release under an Open Source or
54 > Free Software license will still be available under that
55 > license even after someone else uses it in a project of their own.
56
57 Yes.
58
59 > If you use a license that allows for relicensing or closing
60 > of the code and someone does so, then it only effects THEIR
61 > Version of the code. Yours is still intact, and unharmed.
62
63 With the BSD lincese and public domain, we get into case case where the
64 freedom of the code depends on where you take the measurement (see above).
65 RMS witnessed such things happening and preventing the free code from
66 always free. Thus, he wrote the GPLv1 with the goal of making sure Free
67 Software was free everywhere and to everyone.
68
69 > The MIT/BSD/etc licenses have the advantage that a person
70 > can if they so desire CHOOSE whether or not they wish to
71 > make THEIR code and modifications available. This is a choice.
72
73 They ALSO get to choose whether they give their users your code and can
74 even prevent users from knowing what code they are running, especially if
75 your are prolific.
76
77 The GPL also covers (read: places restrictions on) derivative works,
78 something that is your right as a copyright holder. BSD/MIT/X11 don't,
79 and LGPL makes only minimal requirements on derivative works to ensure the
80 original work remains free.
81
82 > Many of us WILL release our own code even under those terms,
83 > but it is a choice to do so. I am not saying that the idea
84 > of GPL is wrong. Different developers have different desires
85 > for their code. I am simply saying that the Open Source route
86 > is just as valid as the Free Software route.
87
88 But the GPL has *always* been about Free Software, not "just" Open Source.
89 By accepting the terms of the GPLv2, TiVo should have been prepared to
90 honor the Free Software definition and not attempt to restrict their
91 users' freedoms.
92
93 As a user I wish *every* piece of software I received was under the terms
94 of the GPLv3. As a developer, I understand the allure of the BSD
95 license -- it's great to be able to grab others' stuff with a few strings
96 attached as possible. However, since I'll always end up using more code
97 than I write, I prefer to release under the GPLv3.
98
99 > As for selling it back to you. It is up to every person to
100 > take measures to educate themselves on their purchases.
101
102 I agree, but when given binaries under the GPLv2, you *should have* been
103 able to use modified versions. That *was* and *is* one of the goals of
104 the GPL. From the point of view of the authors of the GPL and those Free
105 Software developers that took care in choosing their license, what TiVo
106 did was *undesired* to say the least, and that's why we needed the GPLv3
107 to *fix* things.
108
109 > As long as both hold up their part of the deal, things
110 > go well.
111
112 I contend that TiVo hasn't really held up there part of the deal, but if
113 Eben thought the case could be won on the wording of the GPLv2, we
114 probably wouldn't even have a GPLv3 right now.
115
116 > Beyond that, always thinking in terms of worst case
117 > scenerios may be good in war time, but otherwise it
118 > will just give you ulcers. ^_^ So, like, pick your
119 > favorite license, study what you buy before you buy,
120 > and relax a bit. ^_^
121
122 I totally agree here. (Of course, I think the Free Software vs.
123 Proprietary Software "war" is just heating up.)
124
125 I'm ready to call end of thread if everyone else is. :)
128 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
129 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
130 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
131 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
132
133 [1] BSD/X11/MIT licenses allow this behavior to, but it can be a *bit* more
134 obvious in that case wince they do have to retain copyright notices.