From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Magic SysRq didn't work today
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:54:00
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > For the first time in a couple of years I had a total hard hang
4 > today when a Virtualbox VM was doing some updates to M$ Office. The
5 > compute server was completely alive& then completely hung. The mouse
6 > wouldn't move, I couldn't switch to the console and I couldn't log in
7 > from another machine. I tried Alt-Ctrl-SysRq REISUB but there was no
8 > response to that either so I went with a hard reset and did some
9 > fsck's to ensure everything was OK. (It was...) After bringing the
10 > machine back up I tested that the Magic SysRq worked, and it did, so
11 > the hang was hard enough to stop even that.
12 >
13 > My question about this is what's your guess about where the hang
14 > occurred? Was it purely in the kernel and I just hit some corner
15 > condition that caused it? Or could it be that a hang in the VM could
16 > completely bring the machine to a halt such that the kernel never
17 > gains control even after waiting 15 minutes?
18 >
19 > The kernel was gentoo-sources-3.0.4, not the -r1 that came out today.
20 >
21 > Looking forward to all ideas.
22 >
23 > Cheers,
24 > Mark
28 Well, I had a weird one a while back that caused this sort of issue. It
29 turned out that one of my hard drives was having a file system issue. I
30 put a new file system on it, it works fine ever since. Weird but real.
31
32 That said, if the kernel itself locks up, the SysReq keys may not work.
33 I have found that if you can't ssh in or get the SysReq keys to work, it
34 is what I call a hard lock up. Hitting the reset button or pulling the
35 plug is the only option I know of.
36
37 You can set it so that it will reboot automatically when it locks up.
38 Thing is, if the lock up is severe enough, that may not work either.
39 Same as the SysReq keys I guess.
40
41 Having the option to use SysReq keys are nice but sometimes even that
42 doesn't work. It would be nice if one could cross their fingers when
43 using those. I have to use both hands to press mine. Does crossing
44 toes help? lol
45
46 Dale
47