From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again, emerge -e @world related questions...
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 05:20:17
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > what could fail, when doing the change to PIE-enabled applications
5 > on base of the regular updates?
6 > Compilation may fail, if libs are included and not flagged as to be
7 > recompiled, which are of the "old standard"...
8 > What else can fail? What may be the worst scenario?
9 >
10 > Is there a way to do a "emerge -e @world" but only for the system
11 > applications?
14 That would be emerge -e @system.  Keep in mind, depending on USE flags
15 and such, that can pull in a lot of what we would consider non-system
16 packages.  Here, KDE packages are bad to get pulled in.
20 > Would it be possible to do a "emerge -e @world" for the system
21 > applications and then update the rest of the applications via the
22 > regular updates of the system (and recompile failing components
23 > manually because one obviously already know the reason) ?
24 >
25 > Do I have to do a "emerge -e @world" from a certain kind of
26 > "reduced system" i.e. starting the system without a desktop
27 > first or boot into an even more reduced state aka "maintance
28 > mode" (via grub) and make the disk rw by hand?
29 > Or is even a much more esoteric doing necessary?
30 >
31 > Cheers
32 > Meino
33
34 I guess you could do emerge -e @system and then try not doing the rest
35 but from my understanding, you could run into things not working right
36 or not at all.  Depending on which packages that applies to, you could
37 have some problems that break things or just things that annoy you.
38
39 Dale
40