From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] experience thus far (was: planned btrfs conversion: questions)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 20:16:16
1 So, a week has passed since my conversion to btrfs.
2
3 So far there seem to have been no problems, my system has been running as if
4 nothing has changed :) . Which, as a friend pointed out, is how it should be.
5
6 I don't think there is anything particularly interesting to mention in addition
7 to what I already wrote. I can just say that I think the effort was worth it.
8
9 The one thing that I can tell from reading the past two weeks of the btrfs ML
10 is that the 3.15 Linux kernel series will contain lots of bug fixes (for
11 example in balancing, error handling, and send/receive), and that I will want
12 to use that sooner rather than later. Of course, the severity of the problems
13 varies, and a lot are triggered under odd, or at least uncommon, circumstances.
14 Still, its worth paying attention to.
15
16 Also, a lot of problem reports I saw came from people using other volume
17 management below btrfs, interestingly enough.
18
19 As for the future, I think I will wait a while, and get some experience with
20 btrfs first. I suspect that by the time btrfs supports swap files, it will be
21 stable enough that I would consider converting my SSD to also use btrfs
22 anyway :) . Possibly before that, once I am fully convinced of btrfs'
23 stability, I will also convert my backup drive and switch to using snapshots
24 and send/receive to perform backups. Perhaps somebody will have written a
25 backup solution on top of snapshots by then.
26
27 Have a nice weekend,
28 --
29 Marc Joliet
30 --
31 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
32 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup