From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] HP printing query
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 16:48:42
1 140417 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > Philip Webb schrieb am 16.04.2014 01:07:
3 >> I ran into a problem trying to print yesterday -- solved for now -- ,
4 >> but would like to simplify things for the next occasion.
5 >> What appears to have happened is that when I updated Hplip + Cups,
6 >> one of them created a new printer, so that the list now appears as :
7 >> Deskjet_2510 Automatically setup by HPLIP
8 >> HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9 Paused - "Filter failed"
9 >> Deskjet_2510_2 Deskjet_2510_2
10 >> HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9 Idle
11 >> I had the Vim plug-in 'prtdialog' + Kwrite + LO set to use the former,
12 >> but needed to change them all to the latter to get the printer to respond.
13 > I have removed the auto-configuration [1] of hplip printers
14 > done by udev rules. There was an upgrade and an uninstall tool
15 > which I have removed as well. These should be done by the user/admin.
16 > As mentioned on the wiki page for hplip [2], at every upgrade
17 > the recommended action is to delete all print queues
18 > and recreate them again either with hp-setup or the cups web interface.
19 > [1] *hplip-3.14.3 (07 Mar 2014)
20 > 07 Mar 2014; Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> +hplip-3.14.3.ebuild:
21 > Version bump. This version adds a patch which removes the update and
22 > uninstall python scripts as well as the auto-configuration/plug-in
23 > installation related stuff from the udev rules. This should fix Gentoo bug
24 > #434830 (Upstream bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1080353).
25 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HPLIP
26
27 Thanks : this change appears to have eliminated the problem.
31 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
32 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
33 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca