From: michael@××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird GNOME problem
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 07:53:39
1 Earlier tonight I changed the setting in /etc/conf.d/rc for the
2 RC_DEVICE_TARBALL from "yes" to "no" and rebooted. Now I can't get into
3 GNOME. For my personal account after I enter my username/password the
4 screen clears and I see the default background color and my mouse
5 pointer, then nothing else. I can move the mouse pointer, but there's
6 nothing the click on and the context menu doesn't come up when I
7 right-click. When I tried to log in as root from the welcome screen I
8 see the "GNOME Starting" box with the Gentoo logo, but it never goes on
9 from that. To get out of both my personal account and the root account
10 I had to Alt+Cntrl+Backspace. I got a Failsafe Terminal and looked at
11 the log files for gdm and saw this:
12
13 (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
14
15 There are five log files in /var/log/gdm; they all say roughly the same
16 thing, and their timestamps are consistent with the times I tried to log
17 in and got stuck. I can't even find out why it's looking for this file
18 or how to make it stop looking for it. Can anyone help me out here?
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list