From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32 or 64 bits, CFLAGS and kernel settings ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:39:57
1 On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Jacques Montier
2 <jacques.montier@×××××××××××.fr> wrote:
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I am waiting for a new PC...
6 > motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
7 > Intel Core i7 950
8 > 4Go DDR
9 > Gforce GT240
10 >
11 > I use Gentoo for nearly 8 years, and of course, it will be Gentoo on
12 > that new pc.
13 > Besides desktop working, i am going to study and produce some image and
14 > video synthesis.
15 > I have some questions :
16 > 32 bits or 64 bits ? advantages and inconvenients ?
17 > What CFLAGS have i to choose and what about kernel settings (Processor
18 > type and features) ?
19 >
20 > Thank you very much for your advices,
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 >
24 > --
25 > Jacques
26 > Site web <https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
31 I cannot really recommend what I'm using and I certainly don't
32 consider this advice but I'm happy to share it. Note that in general I
33 tend to keep use flags limited in make.conf and then add them to
34 packages I emerge.
35
36 The processor is an Intel i7-980x, ATI 5770 VGA.
37
38 I think this conversation could result in interesting learning. (For
39 me anyway!) If there are things that improve performance then we'd all
40 like to be better educated.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Mark
44
45 mark@c2stable ~ $ cat /etc/make.conf
46 # Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
47 # detailed example.
48 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
49 #Safe CFlags for the Core-i7 (web info) saved for reference
50 #CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
51 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
52 # WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
53 # Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
54 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
55 # These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
56 # profile used for building.
57 #FEATURES="buildpkg parallel-fetch userfetch"
58 USE="nptl nptlonly -ipv6 fortran unicode -hal dbus X -bluetooth
59 -esound -timidity -cups -java gnome gstreamer kde qt4 qt3support -arts
60 -eds pngi policykit"
61 MAKEOPTS="-j9"
62 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
63 SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
64 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
65 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev mouse keyboard"
66 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev vmware"
67 ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
68 LINGUAS="en"
69 ACCEPT_LICENSE="dlj-1.1 PUEL AdobeFlash-10.1"
70 source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
71 mark@c2stable ~ $