From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Virtualization
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:28:54
1 On Sat, 2009-09-05 at 13:58 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
2 > xen requires your cpu support hardware virtulization. and i only heard
3 > it support windows, but i do not know how well it supports.
4 >
5 Both statements are so very far from the truth:
6
7 Firstly, PV Xen guests require no hardware virtualization support, run
8 at near-native performance and require very little resources from the
9 host since it doesn't have to "emulate" hardware. Secondly you can run
10 *many* PV-enabled OS's but not Windows. Windows is actually one of the
11 guests that you can't run para-virtualized and for that you *do* need
12 virtualization support in the hardware.
13
14 > if you like vmware, why do not try vmware-server 2.0. it is in the
15 > overlay, and it works very well for me.
16
17 But what I don't understand is, why aren't people using
18 KVM/virt-manager*? It's smaller and faster than VMWare Server, at
19 least the last time I used VMWare. Since switching to KVM I haven't
20 looked back.
23 * KVM does require hardware virtualization support, but since 2006 I
24 haven't purchased a machine that *didn't* have support for it.