From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: lm_sensors much hotter in 2.6.31 than 2.6.28
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:56:05
1 On Montag 26 Oktober 2009, Grant wrote:
2 > >> After upgrading from 2.6.28 to 2.6.31, I noticed my CPU temperatures
3 > >> are reported a full 20C hotter. If I load the old kernel, the
4 > >> reported temperatures drops back down to normal. Has anyone else seen
5 > >> this?
6 > >
7 > > If you're using coretemp as sensor, the temps are always off (the
8 > > coretemp sensor of Intel chips is not accurate, not by any stretch of the
9 > > imagination.) It only reports the distance to the CPU's maximum thermal
10 > > junction, which then the coretemp driver *tries* to translate into a
11 > > temperature, but the result is wrong since the value reported by the CPU
12 > > is not accurate to start with (it only gets accurate as you approach the
13 > > max value). That maximum value is totally undocumented for desktop CPUs
14 > > (the docs Intel provided recently are wrong.)
15 > >
16 > > You should use your mainboard's sensors instead for accurate values.
17 >
18 > I'm actually using k8temp. Do you think it is susceptible to the same
19 > problems you're talking about? I also have an ACPI sensor available
20 > named THRM. Should that one be more accurate?
21 >
22 > BTW, another system of mine (Dell laptop) only seems to have available
23 > coretemp or an ACPI sensor which reports values like 46960 mWh. Am I
24 > totally out of luck with that one?
25 >
26 > So, In the end, it's fairly impossible to monitor a CPU's actual
27 > temperature in order to keep it below the published maximum?
28 >
29 > - Grant
32 there are no published maximums. Ruin a good evening going through CPU specs.
33
34 And k8temp has the same problem. Or similar. Some CPUs report correct temps,
35 other doesn't and some report some complete bogonium.