From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:18:39
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:49:25 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > eix-sync
6 > > > eix-test-obsolete
7 > > > emerge -pvDuN --with-bdeps=y world
8 > > > emerge -p --depclean
9 > > > emerge -pvDuN --with-bdeps=y world
10 > > > revdep-rebuild -p
11 > > > eix-test-obsolete
12 > >
13 > > I'd run the first eix-test-obsolete after emerge --depclean since adding.
14 > > removing or updating packages can change the relevance of entries
15 > > in /etc/portage/package.*
18 > > --
19 > > Neil Bothwick
20 >
21 > Agreed Neil. Actually I'm pretty much running that things after every
22 > step. It only takes about 20 seconds to run and is a nice early
23 > warning system for things to come.
24 >
25 > What I'd really like would be for eix-test-obsolete to have an option
26 > to run against the remote rsync server *before* I run eix-sync so that
27 > I can see what my issues will be after the sync operation removes
28 > things. That would give me a nice heads up that I need to archive
29 > something before I get sent to the CVS attic.
30 >
31 > Thanks,
32 > Mark
33 >
34 Actually, I'm having a bit of trouble with my AMD64 machine not
35 performing very well as a MythTV frontend machine since the upgrade to
36 mythtv-0.21. Prior to 0.21 it worked great. It also works great when
37 booted into Windows running the MythTV Player for Windows and the
38 NetFlix streaming service so I'm confident there isn't anything wrong
39 with the hardware.
40
41 I noticed, following through the above flow, that this one machine was
42 still using the 2006.0 desktop profile whereas my other machines that
43 work fine (albeit very different hardware) are all 2007.0 desktop
44 machines. That gave me an opportunity to put some of this thread to
45 work.
46
47 1) The machine was completely clean with the flow above using 2006.0.
48
49 2) I switched to 2007.0 desktop and emerge -DuN world wanted to
50 rebuild 39 packages.
51
52 3) I switched back to 2006.0 and the machine is clean again, as it
53 should be. I just wanted the sanity check.
54
55 4) I switched into 2007.0 desktop and did an emerge -pvDuN system
56 (instead of world) and saw that it wanted to rebuild 9 packages so
57 I've decided to do that first, then sync again, and then look at
58 emerge -DuN world again to see what, if anything, changes.
59
60 No idea if this will fix my machine's MythTV problems but it's
61 probably a good thing to do anyway.
62
63 Cheers,
64 Mark