From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] headphone does not work in windows After logging to linux
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:37:30
1 On Friday 21 Nov 2014 15:24:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 21/11/2014 17:08, behrouz khosravi wrote:
3 > > On Nov 21, 2014 6:23 PM, "Matti Nykyri" <matti.nykyri@×××.fi
4 > >
5 > > <mailto:matti.nykyri@×××.fi>> wrote:
6 > >> On Nov 21, 2014, at 16:15, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com
7 > >
8 > > <mailto:bz.khosravi@×××××.com>> wrote:
9 > >>> > Do you reboot in the between or are you running somekind of virtual
10 > >
11 > > machine? Usb headphones or what? What sound driver? I've had problems
12 > > with NIC between reboots. They were cleared by removing power cord for
13 > > multiple minutes while rebooting. I got rid of the problem when i
14 > > updated NIC's driver (bug in driver).
15 > >
16 > >>> No. It happen every time I boot into linux. Gentoo or Arch.
17 > >>> removing power helps but is annoying.
18 > >>> its not usb, but I dont know what is called! the ordinary type!
19 > >>> Its a realtek chip .
20 > >>> The bug that you mentioned is related to linux driver or windows
21 > >>> driver?
22 > >>
23 > >> I have realtek R6168/6111/6169 NIC. It works in Linux with realtek's
24 > >
25 > > driver not with the one included in kernel. Windows fails to initialize
26 > > the NIC properly when I reboot from linux to windows. When NIC is reset
27 > > by recycling power windows will be able to initialize it. Downgrading
28 > > windows (7 64bit) dirver to an ancient one fixed the problem. The
29 > > up-to-date realtek driver didn't work correctly.
30 > >
31 > >> lspci -v
32 > >>
33 > >> You can check what driver kernel uses for you audio. Also the bug can
34 > >
35 > > be in alsa. The ways of alsa quite complicated... You are using alsa
36 > > right? What error message does alsa give when you try to play audio?
37 > > Well I have no problem with it in linux. It always works in linux but I
38 > > think there is a problem with alsa or some other linux related part.
39 > > Because I have enabled the after post sound in bios. When I power in on
40 > > the headphone work. Then I login to linux and when I reboot to login to
41 > > windows, the bios post sound does not come from headphone.
42 > > It seems something is wrong in the linux part!
43 >
44 > This kind of thing is quite common actually, more so in days gone past.
45 >
46 > Speaking conceptually, what happens is something like this:
47 >
48 > Consider a driver for a hardware on any OS. That driver knows how it
49 > shuts down the hardware. It expects the hardware to be in the same state
50 > (registers, sleep state, etc) when powered back up; if so then all is
51 > good. There are supposed to be standards for these things and drivers
52 > are supposed to obey them to avoid these problems when booting other
53 > OSes (or even upgrading a driver that needs a reboot).
54 >
55 > One of your drivers (Windows or Linux) or the hardware itself is not
56 > obeying the standard, so Windows doesn't find the hardware in the state
57 > it expects and doesn't properly initialize the hardware. There are 3
58 > ways this can go wrong:
59 >
60 > 1. The Linux driver is buggy (not 100% per spec) and doesn't shut
61 > down/power up the device properly.
62 > 2. Same with the Windows driver.
63 > 3. The hardware might not be per standard (the Windows driver will have
64 > been coded to work around it if this is the case).
65 >
66 > Usually, the Linux driver is coded per spec. Hardware often doesn't do
67 > what the spec says and Windows drivers are often shocking. It's not
68 > always true, but I find it's a good assumption to start from.
69 >
70 > You need to find a combination of various drivers in both OSes that work
71 > nice together and with the hardware. It's a trial and error process so
72 > unless someone has already solved this for you, expect to try lots of
73 > combinations.
74
75 On a Dell XPS laptop on occasions I used to find that there was no sound. If
76 I booted into MSWindows the OS would reset the sound, without having to login
77 to a desktop and all would be fine thereafter. Quite a random event, but
78 thankfully I haven't had this problem for a few months now. Perhaps the alsa
79 drivers got better with time. Now if this Radeon kernel regression problem
80 were to go away too so that I can hibernate, I would be quite happy. :-p
81 --
82 Regards,
83 Mick