From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rebuilding a kernel on a hardened gentoo
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 07:59:15
1 Am 11.09.18 um 12:54 schrieb Mick:
2
3 > Probably because you need a later version of gcc to compile the newer kernel
4 > with.
5
6 I already installed gcc-6.4.0 and 7.3.0 some times ago. These should be
7 modern enough?
8
9 >> CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
10 >> CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
11 >>
12 >> in my kernel ;-)
13 >
14 > Have you tried to enable these in the current kernel version and while running
15 > with the same gcc configuration?
16
17 Yes, yesterday that failed as well.
18 But I was able to compile 4.9.95 with the ext4 flags after a "make
19 localmodconfig". Maybe this intermediary step does not "break" lpfc
20 behavior.
21
22 A reboot test will happen on friday or so.
23
24 > LONG WINDED APPROACH
25 > ====================
26 >
27 > 1. Update your system:
28 >
29 > emerge -uaNDv system
30 >
31 > Assuming there are no major blockers which you will need to resolve one at a
32 > time, update your profile, switch your gcc to a newer version and continue
33 > with building a newer kernel.
34 >
35 > 2. Copy the current kernel's .config file to the latest stable. Change the /
36 > usr/src/linux/ symlink to point to the latest linux kernel source. Run 'make
37 > oldconfig' and go through all the changes as required. Then 'make clean, &&
38 > make && make modules_install' and copy over the bzImage, .config and System
39 > files of the new kernel to /boot. Leave the old files in /boot intact.
40 > Update grub config and reboot.
41 >
42 > 3. Assuming all went fine, update your @world.
43 >
44 > WARNING: I would NOT try anything like this on a production system, but use a
45 > cloned fs to do all this work offline. Once I get something booting
46 > successfully I would then copy over binary packages and update the production
47 > system with them.
50 > SHORTER AND RECOMMENDED WAY
51 > ===========================
52 >
53 > There have been many changes with gcc and gentoo profiles since kernel-4.1.15-
54 > gentoo-r1. This is why I would recommend you reinstall using a stage 3 for an
55 > easier life. Keep your /etc, kernel .config and /var/lib/portage/world files
56 > from the existing installation, so you have minimal configuration changes to
57 > perform, following reinstallation. Also keep the old kernel image in /boot in
58 > case you struggle getting a newer kernel to boot immediately.
59
60 Thanks for your suggestions, I will consider preparing a new
61 stage3-based VM somewhere.
62
63 I went through @world-updates some months ago when I started maintaining
64 that server.
65
66 Most of the system is updated already but you are right, there are
67 always hidden issues ... and I should keep downtime and effort/costs low
68 --- as always
69
70 As soon as I can update that IPMI module it gets easier to test things ;-)
71
72 thanks, Stefan