From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How should I clean up my broken system?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:31:43
1 On Saturday 13 February 2010 00:52:32 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:21:18 -0800, Kyle Bader wrote:
3 > > >> Has anybody any other tips to offer me for this operation?
4 > > >
5 > > > tar up /etc.
6 > >
7 > > Make sure the tar can extract on another system. Backups that haven't
8 > > been tested are not backups! :D
9 >
10 > /etc/ is CONFIG_PROTECTed, so emerge -e world will do just what the OP
11 > wants, rebuild everything without touching the configs.
12 >
13 > Of course, a backup of /etc is always a handy thing to have around anyway,
14
15 For this case, it's probably easier to just tar /etc/ and untar it back later.
16
17 The OP then doesn't have to deal with 600+ conf-update complaints
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com