From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Finer grained date output.
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 02:13:33
1 This question is not gentoo specific but really a more general
2 question about date manipulation.
3
4 Like many people I use the `date' command to set file names that need to
5 be unique by using one of the specially formatted commands, to output
6 something like:
7
8 img_080905_103343.jpg
9
10 Which is img_$(date +"%m%d%y_%H%M%S").jpg or mnthdayyr_hrminsec
11
12 This is used in file renaming scripts or the like.
13
14 I want to find some tool that outputs a more fine grained reading.
15 Maybe adding milliseconds to output so that the unique names can be
16 generated in less than a second.
17
18 I know about perl scipting for this but wanted something like the
19 `date' command that is its own dedicated program.
20
21 Is there a unix tool that outputs a finer grain of time segments?
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list