From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can root verify user is secure?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 11:37:29
1 On Saturday, 29 August 2020 22:01:18 BST Grant wrote:
2
3 > The strange behavior was a critically slow internet connection first
4 > thing in the morning that wasn't fixed by a reboot or modem power
5 > cycle. My net0 monitor didn't show any traffic but I still wonder if
6 > the upstream pipe could have been clogged with data. My problem
7 > seemed to be the downstream but I think a full upstream pipe can slow
8 > the downstream? No ISP reports online and it cleared up after a short
9 > while. I haven't seen that before. Would you be concerned?
10
11 This can be entirely an ISP congestion problem at their central concentrators.
12 If you have ADSL, or a non-symmetric connection, a saturated upstream pipe at
13 your router will reduce what the downstream can achieve. Google for
14 'bufferbloat' if you want to adjust your upstream rate on your router to
15 maximise downstream performance.
16
17 If your local PC/switch/router do not indicate traffic flowing through when
18 there should be, then the problem is clearly upstream.
19
20 It doesn't hurt to be a bit paranoid and keep an eye out, but I wouldn't lose
21 sleep over it. Taking some measurements and recording traffic will help to
22 bottom it out. Intelligent switches and more expensive routers have a
23 capability of cloning ports for the purpose of monitoring traffic over them,
24 running a packet capture, etc. Firewall logs would also help indicate what
25 connections were happening at the time and you should be able to forward these
26 on your LAN to a syslog server to store and review later.
29 > Is there a separate device I can put on the network to monitor traffic
30 > so I can review it later on?
31
32 If you want to guard against changes to your OS, check:
33
34 app-admin/tripwire
35
36 Otherwise, router logs should be helpful in the first instance.