From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA, speakers, volume, mute
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:12:11
1 On Sunday 18 November 2007, Thufir wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:19:34 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Think about this a little bit. Modern audio hardware has multiple
4 > > inputs and often multiple outputs as well.
5 > >
6 > > You absolutely need to be able to control these independantly,
7 > > because that's the way stuff works.
8 >
9 > Ah, well, ok. It just seemed weird to have to hit unmute in
10 > different places.
11
12 On the other hand, it IS very frustrating to open up alsamixer after not
13 using it for a while, see all those channels and have to figure out all
14 over again what each one does :-)
15
16 The thing that is really stupid though and freaks me out is when
17 notebook manufacturers use hardware with a brazillion channels and only
18 two in and one out actually do something (yes Dell, I'm looking at you
19 here). Alsa looks at this and gives you a mixer slider for everything
20 that is there whether it works or not...
21
22 alan
26 Optimists say the glass is half full,
27 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
28 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
29
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
32 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list