From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 13:34:05
1 On Sunday, August 03, 2014 02:16:37 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 03/08/2014 09:23, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 02 August 2014 16:53:26 James wrote:
4 > >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
5
6 <snipped>
7
8 > > Unless you are dealing with Big Data projects, like Google, Facebook,
9 > > Amazon, big banks,... you don't have much use for those projects.
10 >
11 > My wife works in BigData for real, she and Joost speak the same
12 > language, I don't :-)
13 > She reckons Big Data is like teenage sex - everyone says they are doing
14 > it and no-one really does ;-D
15
16 I know a few companies that actually do use it.
17 But, the biggest issue with the whole "Big Data" thing is that noone really
18 agrees on what it actually is.
19
20 > > Mesos looks like a nice project, just like Hadoop and related are also
21 > > nice. But for most people, they are as usefull as using Exalytics.
22 >
23 > A bit OT, but it might be worthwhile for interested persons to get good
24 > ebuilds going for these projects. Someone will use it on Gentoo, and it
25 > will add value to the project. Much like gems and other
26 > business-oriented packages benefit
27
28 I agree, but just to implement a decent scheduler, I still think it's
29 overkill.
30
31 > > A scheduler should not have a large set of dependencies that you wouldn't
32 > > use otherwise. That makes Chronos a non-option to me.
33 > >
34 > > Martin's project looks promising, but doesn't store the schedules
35 > > internally. For repeating schedules, like what Alan was describing, you
36 > > need to put those into scripts and start those from an existing cron.
37 >
38 > Sounds like a small feature-add. If Martin did his groundwork
39 > correctly[1] then the core logic will work and it's just a case of
40 > adding some persistence and loading the data back in on demand
41
42 The code looks clean and I think it shouldn't be too much work to add it.
43
44 > > Of the 2, I think improving Martin's project is the most likely option for
45 > > me as it doesn't have additional dependencies and seems to be easily
46 > > implemented.
47 > Don't forget Martins is the guy who does eix.
48 > Street cred? check
49 > Knows Gentoo? check
50 >
51 > [1] I only say it this way as I haven't evaluated his code at all yet so
52 > have no idea how far Martin has taken it
53
54 The code is clean and does what Martin says it does.
57 Joost