From: ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: When did bzImage move?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 07:25:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Dale wrote:
5 > Stroller wrote:
6 >> On 2 Feb 2009, at 03:46, Dale wrote:
7 >>>> ...
8 >>>> I think I tried this &/or genkernel & when I looked at /boot I found
9 >>>> they'd littered the place with clutter.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I hope you won't be offended, but the amount of junk files this added
12 >>>> made me want to barf.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I have avoided any such "complications" since, considering I don't
15 >>>> consider copying a file & editing grub.conf to be anything of a
16 >>>> complication myself.
17 >>>> ...
18 >>> I think I read somewhere that system.map file is no longer needed,
19 >>> unless you want to set up things in a "odd" way. Is that correct?
20 >> I've certainly never needed it, in several years since 2.4 kernels.
21 >> But IIRC it is/was copied over when using these "automated kernel
22 >> installation methods".
23 >>
24 >> Stroller.
27 > I think that is how mine got there to. I may rename mine and reboot and
28 > see what blows up.
29 >
30 > Dale
31 >
32 > :-) :-)
36 If I remember correctly, it is only used by depmod, and only if you pass
37 the file name on the command line. update-modules, which calls depmod,
38 and tends to be the main way that depmod is called (besides in the
39 kernel Makefile), searches the following directories for the System.map
40 file:
41 /lib/modules/${KV}/build
42 /usr/src/linux-${KV}
43 /lib/modules/${KV}
44 /boot
45 /usr/src/linux
46
47 In each directory, it looks for the file in this order:
48 System.map-genkernel-${arch}-${KV}
49 System.map-genkernel-*-${KV}
50 System.map-${KV}
51 System.map
52
53 What this effectively means is that the copy in /boot is a backup copy,
54 just in case you clean the current build of your kernel
55 (/lib/modules/${KV}/build is a symlink to the build directory of your
56 kernel build, which can differ from the source directory)
57
58 tl;dr version: It won't blow up immediately, but you might run into
59 problems later if you `make clean` or `make mrproper` in the build tree
60 - - or build a different kernel in the same tree.
61
62 - --
63 ABCD