From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the latest install-from-USB-key procedure?
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 14:07:23
1 On Thursday 05 November 2009 23:08:53 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 07:10:48AM -0500, Philip Webb wrote
3 >
4 > > I'm in the midst of doing it on an ASUS 1005HA without an I/net
5 > > connection; I've got as far as booting with a defective kernel from Lilo
6 > > & should have it working tomorrow (the SCSI configuration is wrong).
7 > > 'unetbootin' is the best way to write what you need on the USB stick;
8 > > System Rescue is good, but lacks ADSL support;
9 > > the Gentoo Minimal Install ISO has worked well for me.
10 >
11 > Unfortunately, it can't find the hard drive on my machine. But
12 > Knoppix can. So I'll follow the install-under-Knoppix instructions at
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml and hope to figure out the
14 > hard drive.
15
16 Not sure whether this has been mentioned already in this thread, but at one
17 stage of kernel development* when I was installing on a new laptop, I had to
18 switch AHCI off in the BIOS for the installation kernel to be able to see the
19 hard disk, then back on again once I was running my own kernel.
20
21 Perhaps something like this is happening to you.
22
23 * At least, the kernel as configured for the Gentoo minimal installation CD.
26 Rgds
27 Peter