From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Experiences with Flatpak?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 19:03:21
1 On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:48 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I'm shopping for an IMAP email client that does a decent job of
5 > handling HTML. After doing a bit of reading I decided the first one
6 > to try would be Geary.
7 >
8 > Bzzt!
9 >
10 > Though it's in the portage tree unamasked and marked stable, you can't
11 > actually _build_ it, since it requires an old, vulnerable version of
12 > webkit-gtk that _isn't_ in the portage tree.
13 >
14 > So I thought maybe I'd try it out using a flatpak "package":
15 >
16 > https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.Geary
17 >
18 > But, flatpak isn't in the standard portage tree, so you have to use an
19 > overlay or local repo.
20 >
21 > This is beginning to look like a lot of work.
22 >
23 > Is it practical to use flatpak apps on Gentoo?
26 In my experience is amazing. Gentoo sometimes takes a lot of time to
27 stabilize some packages; flatpak usually have them immediately. For nightly
28 builds is even better, since you don't need to pollute your stable system.
29
30 I'm using
31
32 git://github.com/fosero/flatpak-overlay.git
33
34 (I don't use layman) The only keyworded package I have is flatpak-builder;
35 everything else is stable.
36
37 I regularly run in flatpak Inkscape, GNOME Builder, Glade, Pitivi, and
38 Steam (Cities: Skylines runs really well in Linux); but you can use it to
39 test new software too. It's trivial to install, update and remove software.
40
41 With all these packages, my flatpak repositories are using 13Gb, which is
42 nothing for my hard drive; but it will duplicate libraries from your
43 regular Linux distribution.
44
45 Also, I run systemd; I *think* it's necessary to run flatpak.
46
47 Regards.
48 --
49 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés