From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] visualise openrc initscript start order and dependency tree
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:56:03
1 On Monday, 11 November 2019 11:54:31 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Fact is, there are a lot of people out there who hate systemd because
5 > > it's been successful, and it's been successful because it sticks to the
6 > > nix philosophy of "do one thing, and do it well".
7 >
8 > Now, THAT is a semi-trollish comment if I ever saw one. :)
9
10 Well, the major criticism *against* systemd has been that it has been designed
11 in an orthogonal direction to the *nix philosophy. It tried from inception to
12 do many things, building a monolithic stack primarily to facilitate quick and
13 easy spinning of linux deployment in cloud technologies.
16 > That said, you could argue that the individual components of systemd
17 > do generally do one thing well. I think the criticism is more in the
18 > packaging, and that the components mostly don't interchange with
19 > anything non-systemd. Though as we can see from eudev/elogind and so
20 > on that isn't strictly the case.
21 >
22 > I sometimes describe systemd as the anti-busybox.
23
24 Well, some systemd components can be taken as single applications and used
25 separately from the whole systemd stack, that much is true. However, (some)
26 systemd devs are known for for being disrespectful towards the rest of the
27 Linux ecosystem and making architectural decisions which break
28 interoperability. systemd has been gradually taking over more and more
29 functions/services which reminds me of the old emacs joke:
30
31 "... emacs is a fine operating system, in need of a good editor"
34 > But, I don't want to derail the thread entirely...
35
36 Sorry, I couldn't resist contributing! :-)
39 Regards,
40
41 Mick