From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail delivery agent (MDA) wanted
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:38:38
1 On 12/15/21 1:21 PM, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > So one thing that's annoyed me for a while is that there are several
3 > things which will pull in nullmailer to accept local mails, but don't
4 > pull in anything to do local delivery (And I'm not sure if nullmailer
5 > can even pass things to local delivery) so your local delivery mails
6 > by default just stack up in the nullmailer outbound queue unless you
7 > configure it to pass them off to an external mail system.
8 >
9 > Since the most commonly used of these programs are things like cron
10 > where local delivery is probably the only thing most users would
11 > care about it might be nice if the default configuration were one
12 > that does that, and then those who want local mail relayed elsewhere
13 > still don't have any significant extra setup work to do.
14
15 The idea of having a default mail configuration that would deliver
16 locally originated messages (e.g. from cron) to local user's mailboxes
17 (mbox) in /var(/spool)/mail makes sense to me.
18
19 I don't think I'd /personally/ us it b/c I run full MTAs on all my
20 systems. But that's /me/. I realize that I'm atypical.
21
22 But I would +1 a simple config that does local delivery from "<foo> |
23 mail ${USER}" to end up in "/var/spool/mail/${USER}".
28 Grant. . . .
29 unix || die