From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X freezes & locks up, constantly
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:53:36
1 Phill MV schreef:
2 > Every now and then, usually while doing something related to firefox
3 > ( mozilla-firefox-1.0.7-r2) but it's also happened when someone sent
4 > me a file over MSN in gaim (gaim-1.5.0), my copy of xorg-x11-6.8.2-r4
5 > will lock up and refuse all interaction.
6 >
7 > All windows stop responding; xmms keeps playing; keyboard locks up
8 > and the mouse, although free to wiggle around won't cross from one
9 > screen to another. Logging in from another machine over SSH, top
10 > reveals that X is occupying 90-something% of the CPU; killing
11 > individual applications like firefox or xmms doesn't do anything but
12 > killing X gives me back a working, functional login screen.
13 >
14 > This is, as you might imagine, amazingly annoying. For whatever
15 > reason, it'll happen when I click specific links in Firefox (i.e. my
16 > professor's labs & assignments link) <snip>
17
18 Before going further, let me say that I agree that X is becoming a real
19 annoyance. I'm at this very moment upgrading to the unstable version
20 (6.8.2-r6, not the masked pre-7.0 versions; I'm not that desperate :-) )
21 to see if it helps.
22
23 That said, this would seem to be an interaction between 'problems with
24 X' and 'problems with Firefox' (we've had discussions of the increasing
25 memory usage of Firefox lately-- it may well be that both these sets of
26 issues are manageable on their own, but together, Firefox becomes the
27 straw that breaks the back of X.
28
29 So try using another web browser for a while. I myself like Galeon for
30 my alternate browser, but there's Epiphany, Dillo, Konqueror (of
31 course), kazehakase, w3m, amaya, skipstone, and of course the text-based
32 browsers such as links, lynx and so on. I would avoid Mozilla, because
33 it's about the only thing that could possibly be yet more bloated than
34 Firefox is becoming.
35
36 In any case, see if the problem persists when using another browser; if
37 it doesn't, then at least you can do your work, if it does, perhaps
38 we'll get more information as to what is going wrong.
39
40 Hope this helps,
41 Holly
42 --